1.Open 1 no trump if you have 12-14 pts and no singleton or no major suit longer than 4, or minor suit longer than 5.
2. Else open your longest suit 12-22 pts. With a 6-card suit you can open with 11 pts. Remember length before strength
3. Do not open any suit with less than 4 cards
4. If you have 2 suits with 4 cards:
With Clubs & Spades open 1 Club
With Hearts and Spades open 1 Heart
Otherwise open the higher ranked suit.
5. With 3 suits of 4 cards:
With a ‘red ‘ singleton: open 1 Club
With a ‘black’ singleton: open the ‘middle’ suit
6. With 2 suits of 5 cards open the higher ranked suit
7. Before you open the bidding in a suit, think what you will re-bid if partner responds. Partner expects you to make a second bid. This can be in another suit or in no-trumps.
8. If you have only 1 suit of 4 cards then your re-bid will be in no-trumps.
9. You can re-bid any suit of 5 cards or longer
10.Try to show the hand SHAPE as well as the STRENGTH
11. Your second bid can miss a level of bidding to show a strong hand
12. Even though you have passed this does not prevent you from bidding later.